The idea of ‘home’ is such a personal topic.
Is it the place?
Is it the people and the memories?
Or is it just a feeling of having a space where you feel safe?
After the most basic need of shelter is met and if we are fortunate enough to not only have the four walls, but also the ability to fill them…
What makes it feel like home?
Lately, I’ve been thinking a lot about what it means to feel at home and I asked my instagram followers to weigh in a few weeks ago. Here are some of our thoughts on feeling at home.
- Having your space and all the things that fill it, feel authentically like you
- A comfortable and cozy place that you thoughtfully curate with items that you love and that will last for years instead of just one season
- A place full of things with a story, things with a past, things made by friends and artists, things that make you think of special people and places
- A safe landing place for after being out in the world, where there’s no judgment, no questioning, just being.
- Comforting smells and sounds, like a favorite candle or home cooked meal, and a playlist of songs you love
- The place where life happens, where memories are held, where we feel safe and seen, comfortable and comforted
- Home is where we feel most like ourselves
- Home is where we can show off our style and our values by filling it with thoughtfully made items
- A place where we can let our guard down and be vulnerable
What’s something that makes you feel at home? Is it how it looks? How it feels? I'd love to hear from you in comments!